Search This Blog

12.19.2010

Trial and error

Nick's godson just turned two months old earlier this month. Me, the self-proclaimed "baby hog" in the family has been dying to babysit since the day we went to the hospital to meet him. How can you not adore all twelve roly poly pounds of him? He's a sweetheart with tons of teddy bear brown hair and big blue eyes. And at times I see the family resemblance to Nick.

His godson at times, makes me want to throw our plan out the window and have one of our own. To squelch those hormonal feelings I hover around the baby at family parties, hoping to hold him as much as possible. And when he gets fussy, I can pass him back to his mom, grateful for my temporary baby fix.

But when Nick's cousin text messaged to see if we wanted to babysit the baby overnight I jumped at the opportunity. I could see the terror in Nick's eyes.

While I was excited, Nick was nervous. We loaded a swing, bassinet, a diaper bag and an overnight bag into the car. We both couldn't believe we had a baby strapped in a car seat in our backseat.

Nick went 10 mph down the street and only picked up speed on the highway. We got home close to midnight and by midnight the baby was out cold. When Nick and I called it a night we had no idea what to expect. Although we were well informed with four, double-sided pages of instructions from the baby's mom I was a little uneasy.

Nick placed the bassinet as close to the edge of the bed as possible and turned on a nightlight. Just as I was about to fall asleep he rolled over to my side and said, "Are you sure you'll be able to hear him?" We got up the next morning relieved he only woke up once! We considered buying lottery tickets.

The rest of the day went scary smooth and I hoped this wasn't the universe's way giving us a sign.

Then later that day we received an early Christmas gift from his godson. A very dirty diaper. Nick has never had the pleasure of changing a diaper. When he realized the little present we were about to receive came in a very small, but powerful package he instantaneously backed against the wall, covered his face, gagging. Sometimes, I realize I have to take opportunities when they present themselves. I walked casually passed Nick, making him think he was out of the woods of doing diaper duty. Instead I did an about face and chased him with baby.

It could be considered torture, but it was absolutely priceless. Nick was begging me to stop. He promised to change every one of our children's diapers if I just spared him this one. I may have to hold him to that someday.

The things I do to get my kicks. My poor husband.

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2012. All rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment