Search This Blog

7.19.2011

A Testament of True Love

I know my blog was intended to be a diary/journal of the adventures, misadventures and lessons Nick and I learn together as we navigate married life.

But sometimes others have a way of making an incredible impression on your life. I had to share.

Paralyzed bride to marry one year after accident

A year ago, I remember turning on my favorite news station and hearing the story of a young couple, preparing for their wedding day, surrounded by tragedy.

The bride-to-be was enjoying her bachelorette party, when one of her bridesmaids pushed her into the shallow end of a pool. She immediately knew something was wrong and desperately asked her friends to call 911.

She was paralyzed. It was one month before she was set to say I do.

But on air the couple seem relatively unscathed. You could see the hurt on their faces, but behind those looks was something more - true, unfaltering love.

They didn't blame the bridesmaid or even seem angry with her. In fact, she was still on the guest list. They recognized this event as a tragic accident, one that would reshape their entire life together.

The groom-to-be said he never once thought, "What am I going to do?" only, "What are we going to do?".

Naysayers may say "aww, how sweet" and go about their lives. This story, however, struck me to the core. It made me check myself. How many times since Nick and I exchanged our vows had I joked or threatened divorce knowing I never meant it? How many times had I criticized instead of discussed or supported? How many times had I nagged about something petty in the grand scheme of things?

I don't doubt this couple won't face their fair share of challenges. But regardless of the challenges they will face, it's easy to see the tremendous amount of support they have for one another.

It's been a year since this couples life together was shattered. They've picked up the pieces and never looked back. In good times and in bad...in sickness and in health. Those vows are more than just idle words. They are a testament and a promise to one another.

I don't know this couple and most likely will never meet them, but they have given me an invaluable gift. One that I can use over and over again. It's a reminder how fragile love and life can be. When you know you have met your soul mate, your true love to never, ever take that for granted.

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2012. All rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment