Search This Blog

1.12.2011

Go to bed laughing

I recently wrote an article for a local niche publication where I was instructed to interview long-time married couples on how they "made love last".

It was one of those cutesy fluff pieces that make you feel good after writing it. As a newlywed, I was eager to hear what these couples had to say.

I was given the information for a gentleman nearing his 80s who had been married for 55 years. That's more than Nick and my age combined. He was the sweetest, cutest old man. By the end of the conversation I knew about his time in the military, how he met his wife, how many children and grandchildren he had (he wishes he had great grandchildren) what each of them do for a living as well as their spouses not to mention his baby sister married a bee keeper and he does not care to be stung.

While these might seem the ramblings of a proud old man, I saw a man happier than ever with the choices he made and incredibly grateful for the woman he had by his side along for the ride. He called her his baby and said his advice to couples would be to go to bed laughing every night.

I had never heard that before. Of course you always hear, "never go to bed mad"...but go to bed laughing. I loved the thought. I started to think back on all the times Nick has made me laugh and I knew that kind old man was on to something.

I thought I'd share one of my recent favorites:
Christmas morning was different for us. It was our first Christmas morning together as a married couple. We had finished opening gifts when Nick decided he wanted to try on his new shoes I bought him - black, white and gray DCs (no he doesn't think he's a skater, he just likes Rob Dyrdek and his shoes). A t-shirt, plaid pajama pants and white socks was not exactly the perfect ensemble to pair with the shoes. I glanced over and Nick had tucked in his shirt, pulled up his pants to his chest revealing those lovely white socks with black shoes and decided to dance around our living room singing the hamster car commercial theme song, "You can get with this or you can get with that...". I about died! I only wish I had the video camera on.

Yes this is the man I married. He made Erkel look like a god.

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2012. All rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment