Search This Blog

11.30.2010

The Baby Phenomena

I knew it was coming - read about it, talked about, dreamt about it...I guess I just didn't think it was going to happen so soon.

Take a deep breath, Nick and I are not expecting! No I'm not talking about the miracle of life, but another phenomena...something I'll call the baby phenomena.

It all started at the reception. My wedding band had been on for approximately four hours when my boss' wife informed me that rain on my wedding day not only meant good luck, but babies very, very soon.

My ovaries recoiled in fear. I envisioned a boycott between my fallopian tubes and uterus. Okay maybe that's a bit overboard, but I'm sure we set a record there. Four hours married and let the baby talk begin.

We got married in the very late summer, early fall thinking we'd beat the summer heat yet avoid the holiday season. Well the holiday season is upon us, which means lots of family get-togethers and plenty of opportunities to ask the newlyweds updates on their procreation status.

It usually starts because I'm the baby/kid hog in the family. Where there is a baby/kid you'll find me. I can't help it I absolutely adore kids! But because I love kids (and even though I know Nick will be a great daddy someday) I know we're not ready.

The mistake I made was trying to explain this to people. I try to answer the inquiries in the nicest ways possible. I see the look of doubt on people's faces saying, "Sure you say that now".

My favorite, Nick's uncle has a bet going! You wonder when you walk out of the room if they say, "I'll give them less than a year (to get pregnant that is)."

I know these are all wishful, kind thoughts being passed our way. I even find myself making the statement, "When we have kids" more than I ever recall when we were dating or just engaged. This baby phenomena between the family/friends is just humorous.

I guess that's why the little rhyme goes, "First comes love then comes marriage then comes the baby in the baby carriage". Some people are ready to see us move to the next step!

I look forward to the day when Nick and I can make the big announcement and make our younger sisters aunts and our parents grandparents and hopefully our grandparents great-grandparents. The love and joy a child brings to a family is unprecedented.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying keeping the family guessing and teasing relentlessly. As for those preparing for wedded bliss take a moment and prepare yourself for this question in advance because if you're anything like us you may need it a few hours after you say "I do".

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2011. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment