Search This Blog

10.04.2010

The trouble with towels

It seems dish towels and hand towels have created a wedge between my husband and I. Yes you read correctly - dish towels and hand towels.

Let's start in the heart of the home, the kitchen. For as long as I can remember my mom folded her dish towels in thirds and hung them from the stove handle. Whether it's the best place or the safest place (being fabric in close proximity to heat) I don't know, but that's the way it was done in my house.

Nick's mom always kept her dish towels folded in half by the sink ledge. While it makes perfect, logical sense for a dish towel to be near dishes I just don't like it there. Maybe it's because I'm clumsy and always end up knocking the towel into the sink mid doing dishes?

So the other day Nick and I were in the kitchen. He was by the sink and I was to his right by the stove, about three feet of countertop between us. I reach for the dish towel and he stops me. "Where are you putting that?" I replied, "Right here, where I always do." So he smiles, coyly, walks over and snatches the dish towel from the stove handle. Hands on my hips I said, "You are not putting the dish towel where your mother puts the dish towel." Ever the witty man, he comes back at me with, "You are not putting the dish towel where your mother puts the dish towel."

After this back and forth playful banter went on for a couple minutes I finally said, "You want it there? Fine. Then you can do the dishes." (I really don't care where the towel goes, sometimes I truly like picking on him!)

I thought the dish towel debate had been ended. Husband -1 Wife - 0 (although I will argue I basically forfeited). Well a few days pass and I'm on the bar stool side of our peninsula when Nick reaches over for the dish towel sitting on the counter (the one he just used after drying the dishes! YAY!), folds it into thirds and hangs it on the stove handle. "Why are you hanging it there?" I asked. He smiles, "I know you like it better here."

I have to admit, I was impressed. I underestimated my husband's intelligence. He quickly realized that doing a load of laundry, running the dishwasher and vacuuming can earn him some serious points! And this little move definitely racked them up.

But wait, that's not all! Yes, just when I thought he was getting it my husband went and negated it all. Months ago, when we were registering we both agreed we loved the idea of having a neutral, very clean looking white bathroom (with our mutual favorite color green as the accent). The other night I'm laying in bed and I look over into the master bath. Nick's mumbling about needing new gym shoes as he's scrubbing them with somethin. Tired, I respond mindlessly and get situated for bed.

The next morning I go into the bathroom and realize I should have paid closer attention. Nick decided his shoes were so important he had to scrub them with my new, fluffy, wonderfully soft, perfectly snow white hand towel!

ERRRRRR! I growled, literally, outloud. I took it downstairs and whipped it into the washer. Three loads of whites later and I can still see the damage. Yes, I know I could have just gone back to the JcPenney Home Store and picked up another hand towel, but it's the principal of the matter!

Men ugh.

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2011. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment