Search This Blog

5.21.2012

Earth to my husband, do you copy?

The smile and nod. That's my trick. I've had that one up my sleeve for years. That's an unfortunate one for my husband.

So we were at Menards for the umpteenth time in the past few weeks (I'll keep you posted on what we've been working on soon). As we're passing through a section heading to the paint department, I started talking about a rehab  project for our laundry room. I'm talking away, "Laundry room blah blah blah." <Nods in agreement.> "New countertop for folding blah blah. <Uh-huh in response> The paint color will be so nice, blah blah blah. <More nods and mmm-hmms.> "So do you think that will work?"

Deer in the headlights. Blinks. Mouth drops open. Seconds pass and finally with a sigh he looks at me and says, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention. I was thinking about what we need to get next."

All right. One free pass. So I start again, "Laundry room blah blah blah." <Yeah, he responds.> "New countertop for folding blah blah. <Nods yes> The paint color will be so nice, blah blah blah. <Nods again> "So do you think that will work?"

Blank stare. Even more time passes, "I did it again." I wanted to be mad. He wasn't listening to me. I know I talk a lot, but c'mon at least I was talking about building supplies and paint in Menards. They're totally related! But all I could do was laugh. His face was just too priceless.

Busted! He got a free pass with this incident, but now I'm on to him. From now on, regardless if I'm talking about non-essential to vital, I'll be sure to throw out something random like, "I'm quitting my job and taking up beat boxing" or "We're joining a cult and you have to marry the dog."


Have you caught your significant other doing something that you couldn't help but crack up at?

© Nichole DeMario, 2010 – 2012. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment